Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sensei SWH 298 WFM Wireless Headphones at eZone

The story goes like this:
I had AmEx corporate card. Since I resigned recently, I had to return the card. I'd accumulated a lot of points. In a hurry to redeem, I redeemed some of the points for a Rs. 500 gift coupon of eZone. I was pleasantly surprised when I received the gift certificate within 3 days! However, I didn't know what really to buy since my wish list was not final yet.

My wish list: Wireless headphones, Flash drive (Pen Drive or memory stick), Mobile/Cell phone, and a digital camera.

Wireless headphones: I researched a lot but couldn't find any decent headphones priced less than Rs.2000. The only ones that were good according to all the reviews I've read are Sony's and Sennheiser's. I already own 'Logitech Noise-Canceling Headphones" and 'Sennheiser Pc161 Over-The-Head Open-Air Binaural Headset With Xxl Earcups'. I love the quality of sound & comfort of the Logitech headphones. When I need to talk on the internet, I use the Sennheiser headphones. The sound quality of the Sennheiser ain't bad at all, but I don't feel comfortable wearing it for a long time. The Logitech headphones are just too good except for a couple of things. One: the cable is very short! I can't go more than 5 feet and feel like a dog tied in the corner ;-) Two: no mic - I've to use the Sennheiser just for this sole purpose. I could even use the built in mic in the laptop, but the other side usually complains about some problems such as noise, echos, etc.
So, as of now, each of these headphones cater to specific needs:
Why use Logitech headphones: Listen to music while working on the system or while watching movies in which the dialogs need close attention.
Why use Sennheiser: For voice chats on the internet. If the Logitech headphones had a mic, I'd have donated or sold the Sennheiser off! These are comfortable, but not "Noise-Canceling". Also, for that cost, I could've bought wireless headphones. I thought these were wireless when I searched on the internet. I didn't see the cord I guess, but don't repent buying them.

Flash Drive/Pen drive/Flash stick (whatever it's called): I don't have one! Can you believe that!!! I've so much of equipment that totally costs about a lakh rupees, but no pen drive! A Dell Vostro 1500 laptop, Panasonic Lumix FZ18 digital camera, Seagate 1.5 TB internal HDD which I use with a casing as an external HDD, another external HDD - Seagate FreeAgent 1TB, a Seagate 80GB Laptop external drive, the 2 headphones I mentioned above, Netgear WiFi Router, Nokia 6131 phone, Logitech Wave wireless keyboard and mouse, etc. I guess that gives a decent idea. But, no pen drive :-) So, I thought I should get one, at least a 4GB one. So, given that I have the Rs. 500 voucher, this was on top of the list. I thought of getting a SanDisk 8GB Cruzer that costs about Rs. 1000.

Mobile/Cell phone: I currently own a Nokia 6131. I've been using it since Oct 2006. Wow, almost three and a half years! I thought it's time to move on to a newer model given that touch screen phones are the craze now-a-days. More than that, the 6131 is crashing at random times and gets discharged much faster than it used to. I guess it's quite understandable given that it's been working non-stop for so many years. Even now, there's no real big problem with it. The crashes used to happen when it was new too. But, the frequency has increased over time - it used to crash probably once in a couple of months when I first bought it. Now, I think it crashes once in a couple of weeks. If the frequency was once in 2 days, I'd be extremely serious about getting a new phone, otherwise no immediate need to get a new phone. However, just to be sure I don't miss out any great phones which would make it worth an upgrade, I did check out a few. Being a Nokia fan after the experience with 6131, I thought N93i would be a good phone to have a look at. I remember it was launched long back, so it would cost much less now. But, after some serious searching around found a few phones that really stood out: Nokia N86 8MP and Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. However, I saw lots of complaints about the 5800. And, the N86 seemed a bit pricy, bulky and not touch screen. That made me feel that the 6131 is still a good phone to own given the other comparable phones in the market. Another phone worth considering is the Apple iPhone, of course. But, it's pricey and doesn't have FM! So, no more searching around I guess. I'll check out HTC phones one last time and then quit searching till the 6131 really becomes a pain.

Digital camera: I currently own a Panasonic Lumix FZ18. It's been about 2+ years since I've been using it. Absolutely stunning pictures! Even though I've been using it more like a Point-and-Shoot i.e., the automatic mode. There's no negative about it, except that it's a bit bulky to carry around. Since I'm anyway carrying around such a bulky cam, why not get a better one - this thought came when I saw the reviews of Panasonic Lumix FZ38 (same as FZ35). I could give the one I own currently to my sis as a b'day gift :-D

So, that was my analysis about what I could do with the Rs. 500 gift voucher. Yeah, after I've finally spent it I wonder how much I thought about it! So what really happened?

I went to the eZone Indiranagar store today afternoon. The plan was to get a 'SanDisk 8GB Cruzer' stick. Immediately after entering the place, one of the the salesmen wanted to help me out. There were more sales people in the showroom than customers who were shopping. I told him, let's call him Mr.X, that I have a gift coupon worth Rs. 500 and I need to redeem it. He told me that I need to but something worth Rs. 1000, i.e., double the gift coupon worth or more so that I can redeem the coupon. This was absurd. I was outraged and wanted to kick him in the **** at that moment. But, given my calm and non-aggressive nature, I didn't do anything and just told him that I'll look around and see what I'd like to purchase first.
I asked him about the pen drives. They only had HP 4GB pen drives, which cost Rs.560. Seemed a bit too much. Then asked him about wireless headphones. He showed me 'Sensei SWH 298 WFM Wireless Headphones' and 'Sensei SWH 198 WFM Wireless Headphones'. There was another model by Mitashi I think, which seemed too cheap. I'd definitely regret buying them and never use them. I didn't want that to happen. Except these three, they didn't have any others!!! I asked for Sony or Sennheiser ones. I was extremely disappointed to have taken the voucher. Since I had to anyways buy something, I asked Mr.X the difference between the 198 and 298 headphones. The 198 cost Rs. 850 and the 298 cost Rs. 1020. The MRP however was Rs. 2490 and Rs. 3990 respectively! When we went through the feature set, there was absolutely no difference between both of these. So, I asked him what the difference specifically was - any difference in the power output, or something else? Mr.X was totally confused because the details on both the boxes seemed like a copy-paste. So, Mr.X got a Mr.Y to help me out. Mr.Y said that I could try both of them on and see the difference for myself. I was quite happy with their approach, but what followed wasn't what I'd expected.
Mr.X brought some AAA batteries while Mr.Y setup the 298 headphones' transmitter with a laptop there. While they were doing that, I went around looking at other stuff - laptops, cameras, keyboards, etc. The range they have is extremely limited (2 or 3 of each type). Totally useless store, I thought. Anyways, Mr.Y called me & asked me to try out the headphones. The sound seemed good, and didn't feel any change in the sound clarity as I went around in the showroom, far away from the transmitter. However, it wasn't comfortable and felt like a mono, though the box says they're Stereo headphones. Overall they seemed okay, even the FM seemed fine. The biggest problem I faced was that there was too much musical noise in the place because of all the sound systems. After a couple of minutes of trying them, I asked Mr.X to let me try the 198 as well. I had a feeling that he wasn't too happy with me trying them out. I guess he expected me to just buy the 198 without any further thought because they were cheaper and had the same set of features as the 198 had. When he expressed that opinion, I blurted out at him that I already own 4 wired headphones and know what to look for and I alone will decide what I really need. I guess he would've been a little surprised by that reply. Mr.Y had the headphones on from the time I returned to him till he showed the other set. He had tuned into some FM channel and was quite unaware of what was happening around.
After about 10 minutes of fiddling, they finally got the 198 to work. The quality seemed sub par. There was too much background noise in the headphones. Even considering all the other noise in the place (not exactly noise, but music). The noise in the headphones was genuine hissing sound. Also, the volume in the left earpiece was higher than that in the right one. I had noticed this within a few seconds of trying it on and asked Mr.X to validate it if he wanted to. Mr.X too heard for a while, much longer than I did and the verdict was the same. I told him that this was probably a defective piece. He said that there are absolutely no defective pieces! I expected him to say that he'll let me try another piece as this one might really be defective as I pointed out, but his response was quite surprising. Even worse, while we were analyzing the headphones listening in, Mr.Y disconnected the transmitter from the laptop because he was doing 'laptop sales' to a potential customer (an old man). There was a big hiss in the headphones now. I wasn't too happy with their attitude and totally convinced not to take these headphones. Actually the worst part was Mr.Y was telling the old man about a laptop that it has 'Core 2 Duo' processor, which means totally 4 processors, which means extra power and some more weird implications. He was telling some other nonsensical things which I couldn't bear to hear and just told Mr.X that I'll take the 298.
I then went to the entrance and looked at some of the phones on display. There was no N86. When I asked around, they said that they really didn't have one - it wasn't on display, they didn't even have one in stock. I was totally disappointed with the range of items they have. They have everything for namesake, but nothing really in stock. I guess we really need to buy online only in case of any plans of purchasing something from eZone.
Anyways, after the payment was made, Mr.X was helping me out with packing. He had got another box from the shelf. Though I didn't doubt him, I wanted to be doubly sure if everything was in the box. I asked him to open it and show me all the items. This time he seemed visually frustrated and gave some phew kind of response. I told him straight on his face that he shouldn't be frustrated - given that he's doing the sale and I'm the customer. He laughed apologetically and showed me everything in the box and seemed more friendly now. Anyways, I left the showroom, got 4 AAA batteries to test these out.

Finally, about the headphones:
Features (according to the eZone website):
- Wireless Head phone
- FM Radio
- Wireless online chatting
Positives:
1. Wireless. Period.
2. Quality seems much better than 198. They'll last at least about half year if used once per day for an hour.
3. Very quick FM scanning.
4. Can go very far (I tried till about 10 meters, we live in a small house) from the transmitter and still feel no difference in the sound quality. Obstacles have little or no effect.
5. Seems light (not heavy), probably because of the plastic build.
Negatives:
1. They're not meant for long time use. I felt that they were too tight. When I took them off after about an hour, I felt that my ears were paining a little. Probably you can pull it to the maximum length to ease pressure on the ears.
2. Though it says Stereo, I couldn't really feel it. I even tested it, but didn't think it was stereo at all. I wonder what they mean by stereo. Does the manufacturer think just having sound come out from both the sides of the headphones means stereo???
3. No AC Adapter. No batteries. Need to buy these. Probably it makes sense to buy 4 re-chargeable AAA batteries with the charger. Might cost a few hundreds, but in the long run, it would be worth it.
4. There's a hiss when nothing was being played. Also, there's a hiss when using a 4.5V adapter instead of using batteries in the transmitter. Of course, I bought an adapter to test it out; but using the adapter didn't seem practical because of the high volume of the hiss.
5. Lost the signal many times when listening to the FM. If I had just stayed at one place, probably it wouldn't have happened. But, I expect it to be able to catch the signal no matter which direction I'm facing and which position I'm in.
6. Cheap looking ear pads. They'll probably be the first ones to wear out.

7. The mic is in the Transmitter, not in the headset. You'll need to speak into the transmitter if planning to use the mic.
8. No reviews about it anywhere online!
9. I probably could've got a similar or better headphones at S P Road, Bangalore for less than Rs. 700. I don't know how much they really cost there since I don't want to feel bad that I spent more than I should in getting these.
10. Looks and feels plasticky; seems delicate. Handle with care if you want it to last long.
11. FM tuner skips some channels. You may have to reset and tune, again and again, for many times if you want to tune into a specific channel. I had trouble tuning into Radio Indigo, 91.9 FM. Probably after 15-20 attempts I luckily hit the frequency! Fortunately, it remembers the last tuned channel. So, in case you switch it off and switch on again, you'd be tuned into the same channel - a saving grace.
12. I haven't tested the internet chat and other so called features. Didn't seem worth it.
13. Even after the generous 75% discount, these seem to be overpriced! You can easily get equally good or even better wireless headphones at other places. I'm sure, because I've seen them earlier - look for FronTech and the likes. Go looking around on SP Road and you'll find a lot. I think the FronTech wireless headphones which you can get for about Rs.700 are worth the money more than these which cost Rs.1020!

Final words: If you're desperate to get "cheap" wireless headphones, have a gift voucher to spend, and can't think of anything else, only then go buy these headphones. Otherwise, my advise would be to avoid any headphones by Sensei. Actually, everything in eZone in the computers and computer peripherals sections at least (I don't know about the other sections).

That's that. I'll probably never go to eZone again to buy anything given this experience.

P.S. Those who wish to write ugly comments, read this

11 comments:

  1. thanks dude for sharing the experience & writing this review, u saved me couple of bucks

    ReplyDelete
  2. very useful comments my friend...thanksa

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's as comprehensive as any review can get....it quite summarises that we shouldn't always look for discounts ...spending a few bucks more and getting a better product is always smarter an option....thanks for your insight..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a gr8 review. i was about to buy this headset...thank u

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks 4 ur review,u saved me to have a headache

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good analysis of the store as well as the headphones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Buddy.....these all small gestures does makes big big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Buddy
    Thats very nice of you to give valuable information for needy ppl like me :)

    I need to buy a decent headset with good sound quality(wireless, noise cancelling, FM radio are added bonuses) with audio/mic chat facitlity for computer teleconferencing.

    I have listed a few choices:
    Logitech: ClearChat Premium PC Headset
    mitashi: mh 5001/5005 headphone
    Sensei: SWH 198/298 WFM Wireless headphone
    iBall: WR 621 (With FM Radio)/Rocky
    Sennheiser: HMD 280 PRO,HMDC 26,HMD 26,HME 26,HME 26-600(4).

    You are welcome to add any new ones, provided they are not above about 1000 bucks. Could you or anyone help me here?
    Kumar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks alot dude for sharing your experience... I was thinking to buy this item.. But after reading your article, my mind is set back to shift to S.P Road...

    -- Dinesh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude its worth a review. Even the manufacturer of this wouldn't have gone into this detail.

    Same pinch here. Bought 198 at same shop today afternoon at 500. They are moved to 3rd floor - the clear off sale section.
    I lost the user guide and was trying to use them for chatting. But couldn't make out where the mic is.
    Finally I could chat getting to know that Mic is in the transmitter stand. I heard loud echo of my own sound. Planning to use PC speakers(get rid of the headphone) and the transmitter stand as the mic.

    ReplyDelete