Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Horrible Bangalore Traffic Police


I've had some bitter experiences with the Bangalore Traffic Police, but the one that happened last week was the worst.

The road was totally empty & I just took a left turn, cruising at around 40kmph. The roads aren't that good to go faster than that speed anyway. Just around the corner was a policeman wanting to stop me immediately.
Given the road was wet with the rain, I couldn't break that well & would have been at least 100 ft before I could stop. So decided to just go along & didn't stop. I've no idea what was wrong & why the policeman wanted to stop me for - it was a left turn! Aren't we allowed a free left - this is India, not US. It wasn't a one-way either! I've been on that road several times & never seen a policeman at that corner. Also, there's no rule anymore to generally stop people for no reason & do document checks unless there's a traffic violation.

After a few days I checked their website to see if I was fined anything for that & was surprised to see a charge of Rs. 400 for "DRIVING DANGEROUSLY - NON TRANSPORT VEHICLES".

As far as I remember, I wasn't driving too fast. 40kmph isn't fast at all!!! I've no idea why the policeman was trying to stop people without any reason. £μ¢κ‡η§  ∀$$ Ħ¤Ł€$


Another one, a few months ago:
I had a similar experience as the one mentioned here. The difference from the one in the link was that I paid the bribe rather than being charged Rs.500. So, got away with Rs.100 that obviously went into the policeman's pocket because I couldn't find any corresponding log of that incident in the traffic police website.

Overall opinion about the Bangalore Traffic Police has been really bad for me. In my opinion, they are good for nothing, almost always only mean harm rather than do anything useful.
It's almost guaranteed to see them at the ends of 'No Entry' roads, parking lots to tow vehicles away, around corners where traffic is flowing peacefully (or even non-existent), etc. But rarely can you find them where traffic is choking, where there's an accident or a brawl going on, etc.

Bangalore (Bengalooru), no doubt, is notoriously known for it's horrible traffic with not-so-good-roads for a valid reason after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment