Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why Birthdays

I don't mind people wishing 'happy birthday', have some happy banter maybe & move along. Such as some of the friendly guys on FB, members of TBG, some sincere people in my family, etc. I'm grateful to them. It's heartening to know they really care, or are being friendly, maybe just trying to be social, etc. Doesn't matter, but good motives in the end. That's all matters.

On the other hand are some people who're mean, ignorant, pathetic, insincere, or just crazy! This post is for those. So here goes my rant for them who deserve it... If you're one of those people, you'll know for yourselves what I mean.


Why should someone be happy that it's their birthday?
Why is everyone so excited, if not even an acquaintance, when it's someone else's birthday?
Why is it looked at as an obligation for someone to "celebrate" their birthday?
Why can't a birthday be a no-event? Isn't it just another day in the life! You might argue it can't really be called a no-event, since getting past that date means all the forms you fill for the next 1 year would have a different "age" filled in. But does it really matter?!
Why is it a norm to wear new clothes, or at least dress properly, on their birthday?
Why does everyone want a treat for a birthday? I understand they'd get a free meal (probably some drinks too), but why the annoyance & pestering for a party when they're just acquaintances? Should every remote acquaintance be treated to a party? Probably a few hundred people would turn up then!
Why doesn't anyone care someone is unwell on their birthday, even after it's mentioned explicitly?

Why does someone have to call more than a dozen times early in the morning just to wish 'Happy birthday'? Why can't they stop calling if the call isn't picked up? A dozen missed calls in about 2 hours from the same number, and counting!
Why are there messages like "... I'm very sad, you didn't call" for not getting wished for the birthday on the phone? Doesn't sending an SMS suffice?
Why do people revel in others' miseries? I admit I do sometimes take pleasure too, but there's a limit - why can't some people see it?


I guess it's quite understandable, given all these questions I've asked, that it's my birthday in question. It probably was one of the worst ones ever. No real friends/relatives around. Sick. Completely devoid of any fun.
I congratulate those who've made me write this post & also made me ask all these weird questions for which I'm not really looking for any answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment